The Grapes a cappella group rehearse for Saturday's 10th Annual Wyvern Invitational A Cappella Festival, held at Kingswood Oxford School in West Hartford. Last year, the Grapes were awarded Best in Show for their performances in the a cappella competition. "Break a leg", Grapes!
|Midterm Exam Schedule*|
Monday, January 29: Review Day - Special Schedule
Tuesday, January 30:
- 8:15 a.m.-9:35 a.m.: A Block
- 9:40 a.m.-10:30 a.m.: X Block
- 10:35 a.m.-11:55 a.m.: B Block
- 12:00 p.m.-12:35 p.m.: Lunch
- 12:40 p.m.-2:00 p.m.: C Block
- 2:00 p.m.-3:30 p.m.: Teachers available for extra help
Wednesday, January 31:
- 8:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m.: Science Exam
- 1:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m.: History Exam
Thursday, February 1:
- 8:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m.: Math Exam
- 1:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m.: Conflict Exam
Friday, February 2-Monday, February 5:
- 8:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m.: Language Exam
- 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.: Lunch Available
- Dismissal for break after last exam
Long Winter Weekend - No School
*For Upper School students. Middle School students will have field trips next week.
RSVP for Our Upcoming Parent Gatherings
The next parent gathering with Head of School Meera Viswanathan and members of Walker's leadership team will be on Thursday, February 8 at 6:30 p.m. in the Living Room. Parents are welcome to join their daughters for dinner in Abra's prior to the conversation. Join us!
|Community Musicians Share Their Talents|
During music assembly on Wednesday, the Walker's community were treated to music performances by our talented music teachers: Flutist Minta White, pianist Marguerita Smith, percussionist Tom Monaghan, cellists Rebecca Sjogren and Laurie MacAlpine, classical guitarist Jaclyn Jones, and violinist Dongbin Shin.
|Athletes of the Week|
Kyla Birk '23 and Hannah Iwaskiewicz '20 were named athletes of the week for outstanding sportsmanship. Read more for comments from their coaches:
Art Teacher Becomes U.S. Citizen
Congratulations to Art Teacher Corina S. Alvarezdelugo, who became a U.S. citizen this week during a naturalization ceremony at the Bridgeport Federal Court. Corina is originally from Venezuela. Hooray Sunray!
From the College Counseling Office
Class of 2018: Long winter weekend is a great time to start revisiting colleges to which students have been accepted. Most offer special opportunities to admitted students including class visits and conversations with professors. Make some plans now!
Class of 2019: If you haven't done so already, please be sure to let us know if you can attend the Junior College Program on February 17. Information is on the College Counseling website.
Summit test prep classes begin right after we return from break. If your daughter intends to enroll, be sure to sign her up. Registration forms can be found on the College Counseling website.
Save the Date for Our Next Book Club
Mark your calendar for our next Book Club on Thursday, March 29 at 6:30 p.m. in the Beaver Brook Living Room. We will be discussing Swing Time by Zadie Smith. Check your email for an invitation.
|Join Us for the 3rd Annual Night of |
Comedy & Community
Enjoy A Night of Comedy & Community at Walker's on Friday, February 2 to benefit Horizons at The Ethel Walker School. The 3rd annual event will feature the comedy of stand-up comedian Sara Shea and comedy company Sea Tea Improv. There will also be a live auction with great items up for bid! Tickets are $60 a person (ages 18+) and are now available for purchase:
Important Upcoming Dates
- Tuesday, January 30-Thursday, February 1: Midterm Exams
- Tuesday, January 30-Thursday, February 1: 6th and 7th Grade Field Trips
- Wednesday, January 31-Thursday, February 1: 8th Grade Field Trips
- Tuesday, January 30: Science and History Exams
- Wednesday, January 31: Math and Conflict Exams
- Thursday, February 1: Language Exam
- Friday, February 2-Monday, February 5: No School - Long Winter Weekend
- Friday, February 2: 3rd Annual Night of Comedy & Community to Benefit
Horizons at The Ethel Walker School, 6:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, February 6: Classes Resume
- Tuesday, February 6-Wednesday, February 7: New Girl Show Auditions (Ferguson Theater), 6:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- Friday, February 9: New Girl Show and Required Event (Ferguson Theater),
6:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
- Thursday, May 3: Middle School Night of Excellence* (Ferguson Theater), 7:00 p.m.
*This has been moved from Thursday, May 10
Saturday, January 27: Varsity Swimming vs. Convent of the Sacred Heart (Away), 12:00 p.m.
Saturday, January 27: Area drive (bus leaves Beaver Brook at 1:00 p.m.)
Saturday, January 27: Open Library, 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Saturday, January 27: Varsity Basketball vs. Miss Porter's School (Home), 2:00 p.m.
Saturday, January 27: JV Basketball vs. Miss Porter's School (Home), 2:00 p.m.
Saturday, January 27: Fan bus to Wyvern Invitational A Cappella Festival, 5:45 p.m.
Sunday, January 27: Open Library, 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Junior Published in Teen Ink Online
Hooray Sunray to Chloe Miller '19, whose writing has been has been published on the front page of Teen Ink. Her essay, entitled "That Night," was written in response to a work of art that she saw on a field trip to the New Britain Museum of American Art.