|Commencement Weather Planning|
Sunday is going to be a gloriously sunny day! In other news, it will be very hot and temperatures are expected to climb into the 90s. We'd like to share with you a bit of information so you can plan for your time on campus. This morning, we also advised the students about how to prepare for the upcoming ceremony.
- The commencement ceremony takes place on the front lawn of our campus. Everyone is encouraged to wear sunscreen, dress in lightweight clothing and have sunglasses and/or hats on hand.
- Water stations are set up throughout the area and small tents are available for the elderly, young children and others needing refuge from the sun.
- The ceremony will be live-streamed into the Living Room on the main level of Beaver Brook. Anyone needing a respite from the heat may view the ceremony in that location; the Living Room is air conditioned.
|Commencement Live Stream|
If you or your family members are not able to attend Commencement on Sunday, the event will be live streamed at ethelwalker.gameonstream.com. No log in required - feel free to share the link with those who would like to tune in!
Share Your Commencement Memories
on Social Media
With Commencement only days away, we encourage you to use the following hashtags in your social media posts to capture memories from the weekend: #walkersgrad and #ewsclassof2017
There will also be a Snapchat geofilter available Saturday afternoon through Sunday's events for you to use.
Thanks to Caroline S. '18 and Valentina P. '18 for the design idea!
Happy posting and congratulations, Class of 2017!
|Senior Receives Scholarship as a Voya Scholar|
Hooray Sunray to Emily Cazares '17 - she received a $10,000 scholarship as one of five inaugural Voya Scholars, a higher education scholarship and career readiness program through Voya Financial (corporate.voya.com). Emily will be attending New York University's Gallatin School of Individualized Study next year and is passionate about social justice. Watch Emily talk about why education and giving back is so important to her:
|Sign Up for Walker's Summer Dance Intensive|
Walker's Summer Dance Intensive is just around the corner! Join us for a week of dance classes designed to build your technique and performance quality. Over the course of five days (Monday, June 26 through Friday, June 30), we will have classes in ballet, pointe, modern, jazz, hip-hop and tap. Improve your skills, try a new dance form, and meet new dancers from the area.
All bolded events are required for students.
Saturday, June 10
- 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. Continental breakfast (Abra's)
- 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Brunch (Abra’s)
- 11:00 a.m. Senior Ride (Outdoor ring, weather permitting)
- 12:30 p.m. Riding for non-riding seniors (Indoor ring)
- 2:30 p.m. Music Recital - Required/Upper School (Chapel)
Art exhibit in the Bell Library
- 4:00 p.m. Baccalaureate - Required/Upper School (Chapel)
Juniors sit in the balcony
- 4:30 p.m. Dinner for juniors following Baccalaureate (Lower Beaver Brook annex)
- 4:45 p.m. Dinner for freshwomen, sophomores, and staff without advisees
(Area outside tech office)
- 5:00 p.m. Senior/parent/faculty/staff dinner (Abra's)
- 6:30 p.m. Prize Night - Required/Upper School (Commencement stage, weather permitting)
- 7:45 p.m. Reception for seniors, parents, prize winners and faculty/staff (Living Room)
- 7:45 p.m. Ice cream social for students (Abra’s)
Sunday, June 11
- 7:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. Continental breakfast (Abra's)
- 8:00 a.m. - 9:15 a.m. Senior portraits - Required/seniors (Chapel)
- 9:00 a.m. The Grapes and Voce Felice sound check (Commencement stage)
- 9:15 a.m. Senior class picture (Chapel steps)
- 9:30 a.m. Line up for Commencement
Seniors - Chapel
Juniors - BB Second Floor
Sophomores - Living Room
Freshwomen - Common Room
- 10:00 a.m. Commencement
- 11:30 a.m. Light refreshments (Abra's)
- 12:30 p.m. All boarders dismissed AFTER room inspection and checking out
with dorm parents
- 2:00 p.m. Shuttles to Bradley and Union Station with reservations
- 3:00 p.m. Dorms close