|View Photos from Opening Days|
Classes began on Thursday following our opening days filled with preseason, registration, orientation, parent events, and Chapels. Welcome to our new girls, and wishing everyone a great start to the year!
|Middle School Bonds at Camp Becket|
On Tuesday, September 5, the eighth graders departed from Walker's with Ms. Hofheimer and Dr. Semk for an overnight adventure at Camp Becket/Chimney Corners. With 11 returning students and two new girls, the class bonded and learned leadership strategies. They successfully completed the low ropes challenges including getting their whole class into a "spider web" about six feet off the ground. They also worked together to build a geodesic dome.
|Information Regarding Our Cell Phone Policy|
In the past year, we have found that the constant use of cellphones during the school day was taking away from our community. Consequently, after much research and discussion, and taking into consideration the different developmental needs of our students, we have made changes in our policies regarding phones. Please check your email for a message from Associate Head of School Amy Wheeler outlining these changes for both the Upper and Middle Schools.
Corey Skirt Sale This Saturday, September 9
Please note that Corey skirts will be available for purchase Saturday, September 9 from 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. in the atrium of Abra's Dining Hall. A small inventory will be available for purchase, or you can place an order through Corey directly. Payment will be taken by cash or check.
Picture Day is Monday, September 11
Every student is required to have their portrait taken by the photographers that will be at Walker's on Monday. Here's what you need to know:
- Photographers will be on campus from
7:30 a.m. - 3:45 p.m.
- They will be set up by the Chapel if the weather is good and in the Living Room if the weather is bad.
- There is no set time during the day to get your photo taken - just go when you have free time, but remember this is a requirement - you must go.
- You must be in dress code.
- If you are a senior, you have the option of getting 6-10 portraits taken in addition to the regular school headshots. There will be pre-determined locations for these photos and it should only take up to 10 extra minutes. Please tell the photographer that you would like these extra portraits. Seniors may be out of dress code to get these additional photographs taken but must change back into dress code after the photo shoot.
|RSVP for Family Weekend 2017|
Family Weekend will be held Friday, October 20 and Saturday, October 21, 2017. Please come and attend classes with your daughter, meet her teachers, cheer for our athletic teams and enjoy a Parents Association reception. For more information including the schedule and RSVP link, visit www.ethelwalker.org/familyweekend.
Abra's Dining Hall Hours
Please note the updated meal times for the 2017-2018 school year:
- M, T, W, F: 7:30 a.m. - 8:15 a.m.
- Thursday: 7:30 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.
- M, T, W, F: 8:15 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
- Thursday: 8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
- Saturday & Sunday: Open at 9:00 a.m.
- Saturday & Sunday: 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- Weekdays: 11:30 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.
- Every Day: 5:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
From the College Counseling Office
We are thrilled to welcome back the seniors, and have been impressed with the college-related work they accomplished over the summer, especially visiting colleges.
College Counseling Seminar: The girls have two main goals this quarter: to produce a final list of colleges to which they will apply, and to complete the Common Application, including the essay. We will spend part of each seminar class working on meeting these two goals, while also discussing other important aspects of the college search and application process.
Watch Walker's Games and Events Online
Walker's streams events from campus live and on demand with Game On Stream at no cost to families. Watch Walker's sports games, Chapel events, theater performances and more wherever you are via your laptop, phone, or tablet. In order for you to gain access, you will need to register for the service with the email address we have on file. The link to register for Game On Stream and access live and on demand events is ethelwalker.gameonstream.com.
If you have not yet registered, click on "REQUEST ACCESS" and follow the instructions to enter your email address and select a new password. You will receive an email confirming your new account creation once you click the submit button.
Important Upcoming Dates
- Monday, September 11: Picture Day
- Friday, September 15: Required Event - Details to Come, 6:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
- Thursday, September 28: Middle School Back to School Night (Middle School), 5:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Saturday, September 30: IEA Horse Show at Walker's, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Sunday, October 1: Vie for the Kids Run
- Saturday, October 14: 100 Years in Simsbury Celebration
- Saturday, October 14: Play 4 the Cure
- Saturday, October 14: IEA Horse Show at Walker's, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- October 20-21: Family Weekend
Friday, September 8: West Farms Mall Trip,
6:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
Saturday, September 9: Carnival at Avon
Old Farms School, 6:30 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Saturday, September 9: Rock and Bowl,
7:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
Saturday, September 9: ACT at Hall High School, 6:45 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Art Teacher's Work on Exhibit
Art Teacher Corina Alvarez de Lugo has artwork on display at the Connecticut College Cummings Art Center for "Intersections: A Benefit Exhibition for the Immigration Advocacy and Support Center." An artists' reception will be held Saturday, September 23 from 4:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. Hooray Sunray!
If you have any questions or concerns, we are here to assist you:
Dean of Students Office
Lauren Raia Mooney, Dean of Students, (860) 408-4239, email@example.com
Nishette Isaac, Assistant Dean of Students, (860) 408-4324, firstname.lastname@example.org
Mallory Pasquariello, Administrative Assistant, (860) 408-4237, email@example.com
Jill Harrington, Dean of Academics, (860) 408-4235, firstname.lastname@example.org
Robert Dawson, IT Helpdesk Support, HelpDesk@ethelwalker.org
Joyce McIntyre, School Nurse, (860) 408-4289, email@example.com
Joan Skelley, School Counselor, (860) 408-4284, firstname.lastname@example.org
Mary Beth Conley, Academic Support Coordinator, (860) 408-4283, email@example.com
Greg Jandreau, CFO, (860) 408-4241, firstname.lastname@example.org
Deb Palazzolo, Student Billing, (860) 408-4242, email@example.com
John Monagan, Athletic Director, (860) 408-4290, firstname.lastname@example.org
Mimi Duran, Assistant Athletic Director, (860) 408-4294, email@example.com
Shachine Belle, Head Trainer, (860) 408-4355, firstname.lastname@example.org
Randi Booth, Assistant Director of Riding/Riding Instructor, (860) 408-4360, email@example.com
Gretchen Orschiedt, Director of Advancement, (860) 408-4260, firstname.lastname@example.org